We’re currently living through very uncertain times with businesses having to adapt to different routines and different practices.
Homeworking for some has been the norm for a while, however for others it is something completely new. It can be a daunting prospect, the thought of not interacting with your colleagues on a daily basis, so we’ve pulled together some of the best top tips to help you adapt to your changing surroundings.
1.Maintaining regular hours is really important. Get up at the same time as you would for work, get showered and dressed and start your working day on time.
2. Set ground rules for the people in your space. If your partner is also working from home, define your own spaces and why not set a time to have lunch together.
3. Schedule breaks. Go and make a coffee or nip out into the back garden for five minutes fresh air. It is important to have time away from your screen as you would when chatting to your colleagues in the office.
4. Keep a dedicated office space if you can. If you don’t have the luxury of an office space make sure you pack your things away at the end of your working day to define the start and end of your working routine.
5. Use technology to stay connected. Organise video calls to ensure you keep in touch with your team and clients. Use social chat spaces such as Slack to keep conversations happening. Limiting yourself to communicating by email and text alone can be very isolating.
6. Make time for movement. If you can, go for a walk, or complete a home workout session on your lunch. Working at home makes it very easy to not move at all, and your brain power and positivity will suffer as a consequence.
7. Make your homeworking experience right for you. Everyone is different and what works for one person might not work for another. Try different routines and stick to when you feel most positive and productive.